Camelot Group - Home of The National Lottery, are currently looking for a Data Engineer to operate within our Data & Insights Department. If you're a high achiever looking for your next move to a highly successful organisation then look no further, see details below and I look forward to discussing this with you in more detail!
Why work at Camelot?
We currently turnover nearly £7billion per year - it may surprise you to know that we do this with a workforce of only c.750 people. This means that every one of us has a part to play and make a difference.
Camelot changes lives for the better - not just for the many millionaire winners we create but with the £30 million a week we raise to thousands of good cause projects across the UK.
National-lottery.co.uk is one of the UK’s top e-commerce sites - this is measured by web traffic and we have almost 9.5 million registered players. We also operate four of the UK’s biggest FMCG brands including the iconic Lotto and EuroMillions.
How you'll make a difference
- Working with Data Architects to design, build and optimise the Hadoop Big Data eco-system using Data Engineering tools and techniques
- Prepare player and retailer datasets in conjunction with Data Scientists in order to identify value generating opportunities for Players and Good Causes
- Turn mathematical algorithms into “production ready” code to personalise the experience for Players on mobile, online, in retail and in email communications
What you'll bring to the table
- Bachelors or Masters degree in computer science or software engineering; or Significant “hands-on” experience specifically in “Big Data / Hadoop” environments
- Robust experience working with ETL workflows on premise or in cloud computing environments
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate with others to clarify and document requirements in order to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems
- Ability to build data processing systems with Hadoop, Hive and Spark using Java, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Python
- Experience in NoSQL or RDBMS databases
- Familiarity of statistical modelling tools such as SAS, R and Machine Learning Algorithms
- Proficient in implementing complex big data projects with a focus on collecting, parsing, managing, analysing and visualizing large sets of data to turn information into insights using multiple platforms
- Ability to decide on the hardware and software design needs to build a particular application or solution
- Ability to develop prototypes and proof of concepts
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment as new data sources emerge, new business challenges arise and the world is constantly changing
- Ability to advise senior management in clear language about the implications of the big data environment being created for the organisation
- Ability to tune Hadoop solutions to improve performance and end-user experience
- Ability to work autonomously
What we’ll give you
We look after our people. There’s a competitive bonus and benefits scheme, 26 days of holiday goodness and a rather generous pension scheme. Thinking about your health? No probs - we’ll give you full private medical cover and 50% off your annual gym membership. Finally, we keep it fun. We work with a smile on our faces with loads of social activities, team nights out and outdoor bonding events.